Granny’s Get Well Chicken Soup
This recipe For Get Well Soup was handed down by Granny & Maggie Shockley. It is the perfect soup for cold rainy days or a sniffle with a fewer. This recipe comes with so much love it will warm the tummy and soul. the Turmeric gives the soup a lovely golden yellow color.
Submitted By: J Schockley
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Serves 6-8 people
- 4 Chicken Thighs – (skin on makes a better broth)
- 1 Cup Onions chopped
- 1/4 Cup Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup baby carrots – sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/3 Cup plain – all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp finely minced thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 1/2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk or your choice of milk
- 10 ounces of medium egg noodles or pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Boil chicken in 4 cups of water, creating broth. Remove chicken and set aside to cool
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, ginger, turmeric, bouillon. cumin, thyme, salt and pepper to water/broth and boil for 8 minutes
- Add noodles to broth and continue boiling until tender
- Add 2 cups of milk. stir and change burner temperature to medium-low.
- Remove meat (if on the bone) from the cooled chicken, shred or chop it up, then add to soup mixture.
- Mix flour and cornstarch together, then whisk into the remaining 2 cups of milk, till well blended.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of milk to soup and stir.
- Soup should start to thicken within 5 to 8 minutes.
- Taste test, add more salt or pepper as needed and enjoy
For a lower fat version, use
- For a low-fat version, use chicken breasts instead of thighs.
- This recipe states almond mike, but dairy, soy, or oat milk will work also.