“Soup beans have saved more lives than penicillin.”
– The Whitesburg (KY) High School newspaper The Black Cat.
- Piece of Pork
- Pig’s knuckles
- Soak the beans in water
- Drain the beans (reduces gas)
- Cook the beans in water with pork (Never use beef. Really, we’d never steer you wrong!) until they are tender.
- Eat the beans over crumbled cornbread and maybe chow-chow.
- Optional- chopped onions on the beans gives them an extra zest.
Number of servings:
Depends on how many beans you prepare. In our house, there was a pot perpetually simmering on the back of the stove. It goes a lot further if you pair it with this delicious cornbread- check out the recipe for Anna Sue’s cornbread!