Have you seen West Virginia’s new “Almost Heaven” tourism video? According to studies, it’s increasing people’s interest in the state, as well as making some sensitive viewers cry! Have no worries, they are not crying because they are distressed, but because the video is hitting home for some who reserve a special place in their heart for the state of West Virginia.

Almost Heaven in the Appalachian Mountains

Jim Justice, the Governor of West Virginia revealed a new tourism campaign on April 11th for the wild and wonderful state of West Virginia. The campaign, called “Almost Heaven,” puts focus on a music video where photos are shown to a rendition of John Denver’s iconic song “Take Me Home, Country Roads.”

Tourism Commissioner Chelsea Ruby wanted to alter the way people see West Virginia. The team hopes this video can push past preconceived stereotypes and unveil the real beauty that is celebrated within the state. Ruby thinks that the song, paired up with the breathtaking photos of West Virginia, will do just that.

Country Roads, Take Me Home

The lyrics in John Denver’s song create a sense of longing to be in West Virginia and a feeling of pride and joy for the state. The tourism team is hoping that these lyrics will draw people to discover for themselves what is so precious and personal about West Virginia and all that it has to offer.

Aside from the lyrics, all of the beautiful scenic photos featured on the video were sent in by West Virginia visitors and natives to support the cause. The photos are there to help capture the true essence of the state: its comforts, its adventures, and its opportunities.

Tourism in the Heart of Appalachia

As is turns out, 86 percent of current West Virginia tourists have visited the state before, leaving the other 14 percent to first-time visitors. The goal of the video is to grab the attention of those potential first-timers, repeat visitors, as well as West Virginia natives, who had previously moved away for one reason or another.

“I’ve been saying for years that West Virginia is the best kept secret along the East Coast, and the time has finally come for us to tell our story and share ‘Almost Heaven’ with the world.” – Governor Jim Justice

Are Country Roads Calling You?

Visit the wild and wonderful state of West Virginia, hike the Appalachian Mountains, camp in the National Forest, or relax and fish on the side of the Shenandoah River. No matter what type of adventure you are looking for, you can find it on our event calendar!

Want to see the Almost Heaven video for yourself? Check it out on Facebook!